On Tuesday, May 8, Frontier opened up their first of many "focused feedback" forum topics for upcoming Elite: Dangerous features: Squadrons. The purpose of this thread is to gather as much feedback as possible from the player base, before the feature goes live Q4 2018. I provide a summary and my thoughts in the video below:
Here's a quick rundown of the features:
- Searchable database of created Squadrons by tag and type (hardcore/family/casual)
- Guild/Clan like recruitment system with application and invite
- Officers and leader role system to delegate various functions
- Group comms for all members of the Squadron
- Squadron overview page (feed) which shows latest activity
Overall, I think it's a step in the right direction, as it provides some of the basic MMORPG guild functions. It does, however, have a major flaw: Elite: Dangerous isn't multiplayer. This feature is going to amplify that gaping hole, but I do hope it enhances the light co-op features that are available today. I am cautiously optimistic, but I can't ignore this game's major multiplayer issues.